Kashmiri Rogan Josh is a delicious flavourful Lamb curry that comes from Persian origin. It is the signature dish of Kashmir, where the name is derived from Persian words in which Rogan meals oil and Josh mean Intense heat. Kashmiri Rogan Josh is an integral part of the lavish spread Wazwan. No celebrations are complete without this signature dish, typically made with lamb but now days even mutton is used to make this authentic and aromatic Rogan Josh. Among few exotic ingredients used in the recipe, Alkanet root, better known as Ratan Jot is the most important one. It is traditionally used to add colour to Indian food.
Ingredients of Kashmiri Rogan Josh
- 1 Kg lamb – knuckles, boneless and ribs
- 20 gms turmeric
- 75 gms ginger garlic paste
- 10 gms cardamom
- 5 gms bay leaf
- 200 gms Kashmiri red chilli paste
- 250 gms pran
- 75 gms fennel seeds
- 25 gm dry ginger powder
- 40 gm green cardamom powder
- 100 gm yoghurt
- 100 gm ghee
- Colour from Mawal flower
How to Make Kashmiri Rogan Josh
- Clean praan, slice and fry them.
- When cold, grind them to a fine paste.
- Whip the yoghurt. Boil the lamb along with the turmeric, ginger garlic paste, cardamom and bayleaf.
- Separate cooked lamb from stock.
- Soak the Mawal flowers in water for colour.
- Heat ghee and add the onion paste and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock along with all the other ingredients except the meat.
- On a high flame boil for 20 minutes to get a creamy gravy. Add the meat and the extract of Mawal flowers. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve hot.